The first thing you want to do is pick up any instant cake mix. For these I used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Cake Mix, Golden Butter Recipe. One box of mix will yield around 30-35 cones. Any type of ice cream cone will work as long as it has a flat bottom. I prepared the mix as instructed with the correct amount of water, oil and eggs, then whisked until smooth.
Then you want to fill the cones to the level shown in the picture, any less or more will have your cupcake coming up too short or overflowing the tops of the cones. Carefully spoon in the batter trying not to get any on the outside of the cone because it will burn slightly in the oven. Arrange the cones next to each other on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper so that the bottoms don't brown. I had to use foil because I was out of paper. I think I was able to fit 26 on the tray.
Set your oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Check your cake mix box for timing instructions. I left these in the oven for 20 minutes. Use a toothpick to make sure the centers are baked through. Cool completely for 1 hour.
After cooling I used a pastry icing bag with a long tip and filled them with whip cream. For the chocolate centers I used a milk chocolate fudge.
Using the same icing bag and a different tip I swirled some butter cream and chocolate icing on the tops of the cakes to imitate soft serve ice cream.
The kids had lots of fun decorating the icing. I know my kitchen floor had more sprinkles than all the cakes put together! You can use any topping you wish. We've used gummy bears, pretzels and crushed candy bars on other occasions.
They we're such a big hit at the party. I wish I had hid a few more in the house just for us.
Here's the recipe if anyone wants to copy and paste or print out the selection.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes:
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr, 30 min
Yields: 30 to 35 Cupcake Cones
- 1 box of cake mix (non swirl)
- Water, vegetable oil or butter, eggs and anything else called for on cake mix box
- 30 or more flat bottom cones
- Assorted decorations and toppings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare cake mix as directed on box.
- Fill each cone to about halfway with batter. Stand and arrange cones on a cookie sheet.
- Carefully carry tray to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely 1 hour.
- Add frosting and decorate to your hearts desire. Store covered at room temperature.